HISTORY OF HINSHAW MEMORIAL GARDEN:
Mrs. Lucy Hinshaw Crater, daughter of Sylvester Trippett Hinshaw (1860-1939) approached the Town of Yadkinville about dedicating Hinshaw Memorial Garden to provide maintenance. At the June 3, 1980 Board of Commissioners meeting, Commissioner Doug Anderson made a motion to accept Hinshaw Memorial Garden for perpetuity if Mrs. Carter agreed to put $50,000 in a trust for maintenance and up-keep of the garden. Commissioner Luther Todd seconded the motion, and all were in favor.
On March 5, 1985, Mrs. Lucy Hinshaw Crater made a gift of land, Hinshaw Memorial Garden, and was adopted by the Town Board of Commissioners on this day. Commissioner Donald Moxley made the motion to accept the gift. The motion was seconded by Commissioner Lee Zachary, and all were in favor. Along with the gift of land, Mrs. Crater gave a momentary gift of $80,000 to the Town of Yadkinville for its care and maintenance.
Hinshaw Memorial Gardens is located at 715 West Main Street and operated by the Town of Yadkinville. The grounds are maintained by Mr. Steve Gardner and Town staff. While the park is open to the public, it can be rented for weddings, family reunions, photography sessions, and other special occasions. For rental information, please contact the Yadkinville Town Hall at (336) 679-8732.